Are MorningStar Farms Falafel Burgers any good?
There’s nothing inherently wrong with these garbanzo bean based burgers, but nor is there anything particularly exciting or innovative either. These are fairly run of the mill bean burgers. That said, the current pricing of these at the time of writing is much more than other comparable burgers.
A lot has been going on with the MorningStar Farms product line the past year or so. From the controversy surrounding the reformulation of their Grillers product through to the release of multiple new vegan friendly SKUs. Enter stage right then these new vegan falafel burgers.
The falafel burgers are sold as 1/4lb patties (in their precooked form) just like the other new vegan focused products and they’re hefty slabs and then some. Seriously these things pack a wallop – I’m not a shy eater – and I need a rest after eating just one of these.
Texturally they’re something of a mushy interior studded with the odd full sized chickpea. I’d definitely think about your burger toppings with that in mind, you’ll want to add some crunch to add interest.
Taste wise these were disappointing and in truth had much more in common with the brand’s Tex-Mex burgers, than any falafel I’ve tasted. The flavor-profile is far less herbaceous than I’d expect from a falafel and languidly one note, my palate started to seriously tire half way through; as did my jaw, again, these are hefty challenges to work through.
MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger – what’s in the bag?
Inside the resealable plastic packaging you’ll find four patties. Like other products in MorningStar’s newer vegan burger lineup – they share the familiar flower petal shape.
MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
Here’s the finished product served up on a toasted bun with green leaf lettuce and roasted red pepper. Towards the end of the pics you’ll see a close up cross section showing the burger interior too.
MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger – nutrition, ingredients, cooking instructions
You can bake these, microwave or pan fry these falafel burgers. I found the microwave method reliable, though imagine the pan frying option would prevent some of the dryness I found.
How much do MorningStar Farms Falafel Burgers cost?
I paid $7.34 for this four pack from Walmart. That feels far too high and perhaps maybe cashing in on the current vegan food fad. I realize the patties are significantly larger than a regular meat free burger, but still, I doubt I’ll take a second look at these until they fall under the $5 mark.
More MorningStar Farms products and dishes
- MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties review – 2020 version
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
- MorningStar Farms Incogmeato Burger
- Loaded veggie tots
- Thai red curry with rice noodles
- Thai jungle curry with rice noodles
- Sweet potato fry nachos
- Sloppy Joes with MorningStar Farms Crumblers
- Vegan BBQ Plate with MorningStar Popcorn Chikn
- Thai Yellow Curry with Cous Cous
- Loaded OreIda crinkle cut fries with chipotle mayo
- Nachos with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Loaded cauliflower tots with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Buffalo salad with MorningStar Farms Nuggets
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N Veggitizers review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Original 2019
- Review: MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Tex Mex Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chick’N Nuggets
- Review: MorningStar Farms Meat Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links