Any trip to Trader Joe’s isn’t complete for me until I’ve stood around the Indian frozen food section and loaded enough meals into my cart to cause onlookers to give me looks of concern. I don’t think there’s a product in the lineup I don’t love. Every last one packs plenty of spicy punch and flavor.
This Channa Masala is no different and works perfectly as a standalone meal or accompanying something else for a mini feast of sorts.
Personally, I love the fact that no rice comes with the curry; I kinda hate when frozen Indian meals come with their own rice. I love making my own steamed basmati, its crazy easy when you know how; not least that means more room in the container for curry!
Trader Joe’s Channa Masala – what’s in the box?
Nothing controversial to see here. Inside the outer cardboard packaging the chickpea curry comes in a regular microwaveable safe plastic tray, covered with a plastic seal.
Trader Joe’s Channa Masala
Here’s the finished product with home cooked rice.
Trader Joe’s Channa Masala cooking instructions, nutrition, ingredients
Cooking is a proverbial piece of cake, and much like any other frozen curry. Remove the plastic tray from the cardboard sleeve, pop a few holes in the plastic cover, and then cook on high for 4-5 minutes. At that point I personally like to peel back the plastic, stir and cook one more minute.
The packaging also indicates you can cook this in the oven too, which I have not tried. Lastly it should be noted that while the product is vegetarian friendly, it does use ghee, so vegans will have to skip this dish.
How much does Trader Joe’s Channa Masala cost?
I paid a measly $2.29 for this frozen meal in December 2018. That’s an absolute steal in my book. I’m not even sure I could make a single portion from scratch at home for that price.
Other Trader Joe’s products
- Trader Joe’s Traditional Latkes
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Taquitos
- Trader Joe’s Aloo Chaat Kati Pockets
- Review: Trader Joe’s Julienned Root Vegetables
- Review: Trader Joe’s Channa Masala
- Review: Trader Joe’s Shrimp Stir Fry
- Review: Trader Joe’s Vegetable Fried Rice
- Review: Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan
- Review: Trader Joe’s Lamb Vindaloo
- Review: Trader Joe’s Pork Shu Mai
- Review: Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Cookie Thins
- Review: Trader Joe’s Zucchini Spirals
- Review: Trader Joe’s Gyro Slices