I had zero idea what to expect from these pancakes, but like most people who shop at Trader Joe’s, we love to experiment when we see something new. Five frozen pancakes come in the plastic pack, that itself is non resealable. Non stick freezer paper is interleaved between the dough, so as to not stick together.
Cooking: The only recommended method is to pan fry with a teaspoon of oil. The picture below is the air fried result – because me being me – if there’s the slightest chance I can air fry it, I will. The result was perfect.
Taste and texture: The primary ingredients here are flour, water, fat and onions. And, that’s what the pancake tastes like. I mean that in the most flattering way mind you, these tasted wonderful. Rich, flaky, moreish. The only negative is that the onion component is minimal and doesn’t lend much flavor overall. In a weird way, the crumbly flaky pastry is very reminiscent of a British pasty (if you’re familiar).
Overall: I really like these. I haven’t yet decided how I will use the remainder of the pancakes – though just as a snack would be more than fine. I’m trying to imagine re-purposing the bread as a would be tortilla, naan or pita – to craft some fusion burrito or wrap.
Are Trader Joe's Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes any good?
Absolutely! These are rich and flaky discs of happiness. They’re a little cumbersome to cook, but they make for a great snack, base, wrap or dipping tool.
Other Trader Joe’s products
- Trader Joe’s Chickenless Crispy Tenders
- Trader Joe’s Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes review
- Lingcod over chana masala
- Trader Joe’s Thai Sweet Chili Veggie Burger
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Fried Rice – one to skip
- Trader Joe’s Kibbeh review
- Trader Joe’s launches brand new Kung Pao Mochi Balls
- Trader Joe’s Vegan Tikka Masala review
- Thai yellow curry with salmon and cashews
- Trader Joe’s Thai Lime And Chili Cashews review
- Trader Joe’s Vegetable Spring Rolls review
- Trader Joe’s Pastrami Style Smoked Atlantic Salmon
- Trader Joe’s Traditional Latkes
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Taquitos
- Trader Joe’s Aloo Chaat Kati Pockets
- Review: Trader Joe’s Julienned Root Vegetables
- Review: Trader Joe’s Channa Masala
- Review: Trader Joe’s Shrimp Stir Fry
- Review: Trader Joe’s Vegetable Fried Rice
- Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan brings the restaurant to your home
- Review: Trader Joe’s Lamb Vindaloo
- Review: Trader Joe’s Pork Shu Mai
- Review: Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Cookie Thins
- Review: Trader Joe’s Zucchini Spirals
- Review: Trader Joe’s Gyro Slices
Hi I’m Stuart, professional food writer and long time eater. You can find my writing at places like Gastronomic SLC, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Utah Stories, Utah Now Online and many others.
As well as writing extensively about restaurants for more than fifteen years, I’m endlessly curious about that product on the shelf. Is it any good I wonder? If you’re like me, wonder no more. Follow along on Instagram too!