I remember being quite enamored with the veggie fried rice from Trader Joe’s – a brand which can be oh so mercurial. Sure there are some gems on the shelves at TJs, but there are some stinkers too. So where does this one stack up?
Cooking: Microwave or pan fry. The pan fry directions advise on some weird method of covering the pan tented with foil – presumably to trap in some heat and cook the big pieces of chicken and veggies. I figured pan frying would be far better than the microwave. I mean cmon, who microwaves rice.
Taste and texture: I’m not sure if this was a case of user error (but trust me I cook a lot of fried rice, from frozen and from scratch) but this just came out awful. I followed the package instructions but the result was a weird mish mash of under and overcooked rice. I’m still puzzled how I managed to end up with simultaneous pieces of mushy rice and inedible burnt and crisp rice.
The chicken used here is dark meat and to be frank, I don’t think it was of a great quality, it was far from appetizing. The big pieces of scrambled eggs almost universally disintegrated in the frying process and the veggies well, I guess they were ok. Given the sodium levels at work here (see package below) you’d think there’d at least be a huge flavor hit to back the dish up with – there isn’t.
Verdict: This one is a hard pass. Even the most basic take out fried rice beats this. Even my most poorly executed fried rice from scratch is better. I suppose the saving grace is the $2.99 price, but even that’s too high for this dish in my book. I managed maybe a fifth of the package before the garbage can beckoned.
Trader Joe’s Chicken Fried Rice cooking and nutrition
Is Trader Joe's Chicken Fried Rice any good
This is a pass for me. Minimal flavor, poor ingredients and a disappointing dish overall.
- Trader Joe’s Chickenless Crispy Tenders
- Trader Joe’s Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes review
- Lingcod over chana masala
- Trader Joe’s Thai Sweet Chili Veggie Burger
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Fried Rice – one to skip
- Trader Joe’s Kibbeh review
- Trader Joe’s launches brand new Kung Pao Mochi Balls
- Trader Joe’s Vegan Tikka Masala review
- Thai yellow curry with salmon and cashews
- Trader Joe’s Thai Lime And Chili Cashews review
- Trader Joe’s Vegetable Spring Rolls review
- Trader Joe’s Pastrami Style Smoked Atlantic Salmon
- Trader Joe’s Traditional Latkes
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Taquitos
- Trader Joe’s Aloo Chaat Kati Pockets
- Review: Trader Joe’s Julienned Root Vegetables
- Review: Trader Joe’s Channa Masala
- Review: Trader Joe’s Shrimp Stir Fry
- Review: Trader Joe’s Vegetable Fried Rice
- Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan brings the restaurant to your home
- Review: Trader Joe’s Lamb Vindaloo
- Review: Trader Joe’s Pork Shu Mai
- Review: Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Cookie Thins
- Review: Trader Joe’s Zucchini Spirals
- Review: Trader Joe’s Gyro Slices
Hi I’m Stuart, professional food writer and long time eater. You can find my writing at places like Gastronomic SLC, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Utah Stories, Utah Now Online and many others.
As well as writing extensively about restaurants for more than fifteen years, I’m endlessly curious about that product on the shelf. Is it any good I wonder? If you’re like me, wonder no more. Follow along on Instagram too!