June 2020 update
MorningStar Farms has rebranded and repackaged these as “Veggitizers. I don’t believe anything else has change, so our original review below stands. By way of completeness here’s a picture of the new chik’n in a dish and a picture of the updated package reverse.
I can’t say that I’ve been blown away by MorningStar Farms of late. Their reformulation of many classic products such as the Grillers range of burgers has been subpar. Once a favorite in our house for years – we no longer buy the product at all. The entirely new vegan burgers are thoroughly terrible as far as I’m concerned.
These small popcorn bites though surprisingly impressed me. The taste, the texture, the versatility – it’s the MorningStar of old!
We enjoy these just as simple snacks sometimes, perfect with a couple of your favorite dipping sauces. My advice – cook these up in the air fryer, it takes just five minutes and yields a really crisp shell.
Here’s a look at the interior of the Chick’n nugget, there’s a good fibrous texture that stays quite soft, even as the exterior crisps up.
If you’re looking to indulge your inner kid (or your real kid for that matter) with a quick and healthy comfort food meal – what about chicken and fries done vegan style! This is a popular one in our house, and when plated for the adults we usually make up a little sriracha mayo (just mix it at about 4:1 mayo/sriracha).
These nuggets retail for about $3.60 or so at our local Walmart. That’s not too bad, but I’m not sure I’d go much further past the four dollar mark. There’s about two decent servings inside each bag if you use them in a full meal.
MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N ingredients, nutrition, cooking
More MorningStar Farms products and dishes
- What’s new in grocery world June 2021
- MorningStar Farms Italian Sausage Style Crumbles review
- Italian-style nachos
- Incogmeato Chik’N Nuggets – some of the best around
- MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties review – 2020 version
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
- MorningStar Farms Incogmeato Burger
- Loaded veggie tots
- Thai red curry with rice noodles
- Thai jungle curry with rice noodles
- Sweet potato fry nachos
- Sloppy Joes with MorningStar Farms Crumblers
- Vegan BBQ Plate with MorningStar Popcorn Chikn
- Thai Yellow Curry with Cous Cous
- Loaded OreIda crinkle cut fries with chipotle mayo
- Nachos with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Loaded cauliflower tots with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Buffalo salad with MorningStar Farms Nuggets
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N Veggitizers review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Original 2019
- Review: MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
Are MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik'N any good?
These are a very solid product and one that we’re sure you’ll wolf down in just a couple of sittings. The breading is particularly crunchy if air fried. A very fun snack of protein choice for vegans.
Hi I’m Stuart, professional food writer and long time eater. You can find my writing at places like Gastronomic SLC, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Utah Stories, Utah Now Online and many others.
As well as writing extensively about restaurants for more than fifteen years, I’m endlessly curious about that product on the shelf. Is it any good I wonder? If you’re like me, wonder no more. Follow along on Instagram too!