Unlike many Thai curries, this one skips the coconut milk. This makes for a more fiery and less creamy finish. A lot less calories too ;). The curry is simple enough:
- Fry a couple of crush garlic cloves for thirty seconds to season oil
- Add two tablespoons red curry paste (we use Mae Ploy)
- Fry for a couple minutes
- Add a cup of water, three tablespoons of fish sauce and a tsp of sugar
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
- Finish with lots and lots of fresh basil
Obviously somewhere in all of that you can add your veggies and/or protein. It’s a pretty forgiving and simple recipe. I usually add veggies when the water goes in, and cook only briefly. You can add more water if the sauce needs to cook longer or dilute the heat.
In this particular dish I’ve finished with some crushed peanuts, lo mein noodles and MorningStar Popcorn Chik’n.