Are MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles any good?
Yes! We’re big fans of this product. It takes less than ten minutes from freezer to plate, it’s seasoned out of the bag and relatively healthy and affordable. What’s not to love?
As I fancy myself something of a whizz in the kitchen – not least the spice cabinet – it’s with some leery caution I pickup products that come pre-seasoned or pre-flavored. Surely, I tell myself, I could do a better job with the raw product and five minutes of rummaging around my stupidly large spice collection.
Enter stage right then these chorizo crumbles from MorningStar Farms. I initially mistook them for a seasoned version of the Grillers Crumbles, which we’re particularly fond of, but that’s certainly not the case. These are definitely their own unique product, in taste, texture and cooking method (see below).
Taste wise these have a mild heat with a wallop of citrusy zest. Theres a little garlic and paprika and you won’t need to reach for any additional seasoning of your own. I mean you can, but they’re plenty tasty right out of the bag. With the quick and easy cooking time, this means you can have a meal plated in less than 15 minutes without thinking at all.
Texturally the chorizo is slightly meatier than the softer Grillers Crumbles – it has more bite. If you decided to use these in tacos, burritos or enchiladas with the whole heap of toppings that’s usually part and parcel, I bet a few meat eaters might even be fooled. As a standalone product it’s obviously meat free, but it’s still plenty enjoyable.
One final note worthy of mention is this a vegan friendly product – something of a welcome anomaly in MorningStar Farm’s larger product range than often doesn’t cater to this dietary group.
MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles – what’s in the bag?
MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles cooking instructions, ingredients and nutrition
As I mentioned earlier, these are not quite like the Grillers Crumbles product. The chorizo here is cooked by simmering in a little liquid, first at high heat, then at a lower heat. It works pretty well, but you needn’t begin with frying in oil like the Crumbles.
I haven’t tried the microwave cooking time, but might give it a whirl sometime soon as it reduces the cooking time to a mere five minutes.
How much are MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
In April 2019, I paid $4.98 for this 13.5 ounce bag. It’s not the cheapest MorningStar Farms product, but you’ll easily get a couple of meals for two people out of the bag; so for my money under $5 is a fair price all day long.
More MorningStar Farms products and dishes
- What’s new in grocery world June 2021
- MorningStar Farms Italian Sausage Style Crumbles review
- Italian-style nachos
- Incogmeato Chik’N Nuggets – some of the best around
- MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties review – 2020 version
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
- MorningStar Farms Incogmeato Burger
- Loaded veggie tots
- Thai red curry with rice noodles
- Thai jungle curry with rice noodles
- Sweet potato fry nachos
- Sloppy Joes with MorningStar Farms Crumblers
- Vegan BBQ Plate with MorningStar Popcorn Chikn
- Thai Yellow Curry with Cous Cous
- Loaded OreIda crinkle cut fries with chipotle mayo
- Nachos with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Loaded cauliflower tots with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Buffalo salad with MorningStar Farms Nuggets
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N Veggitizers review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Original 2019
- Review: MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
Hi I’m Stuart, professional food writer and long time eater. You can find my writing at places like Gastronomic SLC, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Utah Stories, Utah Now Online and many others.
As well as writing extensively about restaurants for more than fifteen years, I’m endlessly curious about that product on the shelf. Is it any good I wonder? If you’re like me, wonder no more. Follow along on Instagram too!