Are MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers any good?
In a world of bleeding burgers and tech-cool led burgers, these old school veggie burgers are a very refreshing change of pace. These are the veggie burgers you know from way back when, simple and hearty and packed with vegetables.
Confession time. It wasn’t until I was finished with the unboxing, the cooking, the burger prep and into the second or third bite before I realized I had the wrong product. My original intent was to order the Meat Lovers Vegan Burgers to give them a second test. The packaging, pricing and raw burger here are all fairly similar and easy to mistake at a glance.
The crucial difference with this burger is of course “Veggie Lovers”. As opposed to the other “Meat Lovers” product that seeks to emulate meat, this is an old school veggie burger made from discernible vegetables. No mad science here. And you know what, this product made me realize how much I missed this type of burger.
Amidst the race for real meat emulation, I’d forgotten just how enjoyable this format could be. As you bite into these burgers you’ll find real ingredients: carrots, brown rice, onion, mushroom and more. It’s a satisfying and hearty flavor. On the flip side it’s not loaded with protein, you might want to amp things up with toppings (like I did below).
Texturally these are quite robust, you won’t risk them falling apart under high heat. The finish is slightly mushy, as you’d expect from a vegetable based burger, but if you pan fry, the exterior can take on a fun crisp finish.
Original confusion aside, these are probably my favorite burger in the new vegan burger line up from MorningStar Farms; which is fairly ironic given the fact these go against the grain of modern faux-meat approach, I guess everything comes back around in fashion eventually.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers – what’s in the bag
Four burgers come in the resealable plastic packaging. As you can see below the vegan burgers have the same petal shaped contour as with other MorningStar Farm’s vegan burgers.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
Here’s the final cooked product, then loaded up on a burger with veggie chili and vegan bacon. Lastly you will see a cross section shot showing the interior and the veggie goodness.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers cooking instructions, nutrition, ingredients
In the picture above I pan fried the patty per the instructions below, it takes about 12-15 minutes. The microwave is far faster at 2-3 minutes. To be honest, this is the path I took with all the other patties. If you wanted to cook these out on the grill at the Summer BBQ, you should be fine, the texture is robust.
Nutritionally these burgers are a mixed bag. They have a ton of fiber but a ton of salt. They have a so-so amount of protein and also a surprising amount of fat.
How much are MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
I paid $6.48 for this pack of four burgers, from Walmart in April 2019. I feel this is a tad expensive, like all of the MSF’s newer vegan branded burgers. Personally, I think this product tops out at $4.50 – $5.00.
More MorningStar Farms products and dishes
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Corn Dogs
- Incogmeato Chik’N Tenders review
- What’s new in grocery world June 2021
- MorningStar Farms Italian Sausage Style Crumbles review
- Italian-style nachos
- Incogmeato Chik’N Nuggets – some of the best around
- MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties review – 2020 version
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
- MorningStar Farms Incogmeato Burger
- Loaded veggie tots
- Thai red curry with rice noodles
- Thai jungle curry with rice noodles
- Sweet potato fry nachos
- Sloppy Joes with MorningStar Farms Crumblers
- Vegan BBQ Plate with MorningStar Popcorn Chikn
- Thai Yellow Curry with Cous Cous
- Loaded OreIda crinkle cut fries with chipotle mayo
- Nachos with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Loaded cauliflower tots with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Buffalo salad with MorningStar Farms Nuggets
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N Veggitizers review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
Hi I’m Stuart, professional food writer and long time eater. You can find my writing at places like Gastronomic SLC, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Utah Stories, Utah Now Online and many others.
As well as writing extensively about restaurants for more than fifteen years, I’m endlessly curious about that product on the shelf. Is it any good I wonder? If you’re like me, wonder no more. Follow along on Instagram too!