Are MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers any good?
In a world of bleeding burgers and tech-cool led burgers, these old school veggie burgers are a very refreshing change of pace. These are the veggie burgers you know from way back when, simple and hearty and packed with vegetables.
Confession time. It wasn’t until I was finished with the unboxing, the cooking, the burger prep and into the second or third bite before I realized I had the wrong product. My original intent was to order the Meat Lovers Vegan Burgers to give them a second test. The packaging, pricing and raw burger here are all fairly similar and easy to mistake at a glance.
The crucial difference with this burger is of course “Veggie Lovers”. As opposed to the other “Meat Lovers” product that seeks to emulate meat, this is an old school veggie burger made from discernible vegetables. No mad science here. And you know what, this product made me realize how much I missed this type of burger.
Amidst the race for real meat emulation, I’d forgotten just how enjoyable this format could be. As you bite into these burgers you’ll find real ingredients: carrots, brown rice, onion, mushroom and more. It’s a satisfying and hearty flavor. On the flip side it’s not loaded with protein, you might want to amp things up with toppings (like I did below).
Texturally these are quite robust, you won’t risk them falling apart under high heat. The finish is slightly mushy, as you’d expect from a vegetable based burger, but if you pan fry, the exterior can take on a fun crisp finish.
Original confusion aside, these are probably my favorite burger in the new vegan burger line up from MorningStar Farms; which is fairly ironic given the fact these go against the grain of modern faux-meat approach, I guess everything comes back around in fashion eventually.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers – what’s in the bag
Four burgers come in the resealable plastic packaging. As you can see below the vegan burgers have the same petal shaped contour as with other MorningStar Farm’s vegan burgers.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
Here’s the final cooked product, then loaded up on a burger with veggie chili and vegan bacon. Lastly you will see a cross section shot showing the interior and the veggie goodness.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers cooking instructions, nutrition, ingredients
In the picture above I pan fried the patty per the instructions below, it takes about 12-15 minutes. The microwave is far faster at 2-3 minutes. To be honest, this is the path I took with all the other patties. If you wanted to cook these out on the grill at the Summer BBQ, you should be fine, the texture is robust.
Nutritionally these burgers are a mixed bag. They have a ton of fiber but a ton of salt. They have a so-so amount of protein and also a surprising amount of fat.
How much are MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
I paid $6.48 for this pack of four burgers, from Walmart in April 2019. I feel this is a tad expensive, like all of the MSF’s newer vegan branded burgers. Personally, I think this product tops out at $4.50 – $5.00.
Other MorningStar Farms products
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Original 2019
- Review: MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Tex Mex Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chick’N Nuggets
- Review: MorningStar Farms Meat Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links
- Review: MorningStar Farms Original Sausage Patties
- Review: MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Originals 2018
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Pulled Pork
- Review: MorningStar Farms Buffalo Wings
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumblers