Are MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links any good
Yes! While they’re quite minimal in flavor, the texture – especially when pan fried – is enjoyable as part of a larger breakfast plate. As you’d hope for a meat free sausage they’re also much more healthy than the real thing, with virtually no fat.
There isn’t much of the MorningStar Farms product range I’m not a fan of. Rarely will I try something from the brand that I outright dislike; that’s probably to be expected from a brand that’s been in business for decades, perfecting its line up incrementally. These breakfast sausage links fall within that generalization – landing in the scale of “pretty decent”.
I realize the brand isn’t for everyone of course, the products typically use egg and therefore aren’t vegan friendly which is all the rage these days. They are of course vegetarian, and for me, thats more than fine. I like to choose them as a healthier option to regular pork sausage – the salt and fact in these links (see full nutritional data below) are night and day lower when compared to a meat based link.
Taste wise I will confess they’re quite mild, but if you go with the pan fried method, the taste is more crisp/fried exterior than any particular seasoning in the meat. I actually don’t mind the taste as I find a lot of meat-free breakfast items overcompensate with their seasonings and are much the worse for it. Texturally these are very good, plenty of meaty chewy and no mush. Cooked in the pan and as part of a larger breakfast plate, the minimal flavor is less pronounced and very enjoyable.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links – what’s in the box
10 links come sealed in a plastic bag inside the cardboard packaging. It’d be nice to see MorningStar adopt the resealable bag format with more of their products. Once you open the interior plastic casing, you’ve essentially opened all the links to increasing freezer burn; I typically go through them quickly once opened as such.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links
You won’t be breaking these links down for faux-sausage meat crumbles; nor will you be eating them on a bun bratwurst style, they’re kinda small little things and I can happily eat three or four in one sitting. I suspect you’ll probably be eating them as part of a larger breakfast plate, like me, and they’re plenty good in that capacity:
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links – cooking instructions
You can bake, microwave or pan fry these links. The microwave works well in a pinch, but pan frying adds more flavor. I’ve yet to try the oven, but it seems a hassle unless you’re already using it.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links – nutrition and ingredients
9g of protein for two links with little fat makes these a winner for me.
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links – packaging
MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links – what’s a fair price?
My local Walmart stocks these for $3.67 per box at last check. Anything less than $4 seems perfectly reasonable to me.
More MorningStar Farms products and dishes
- MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
- MorningStar Farms Incogmeato Burger
- Loaded veggie tots
- Thai red curry with rice noodles
- Thai jungle curry with rice noodles
- Sweet potato fry nachos
- Sloppy Joes with MorningStar Farms Crumblers
- Vegan BBQ Plate with MorningStar Popcorn Chikn
- Thai Yellow Curry with Cous Cous
- Loaded OreIda crinkle cut fries with chipotle mayo
- Nachos with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Loaded cauliflower tots with MorningStar Farms crumblers
- Buffalo salad with MorningStar Farms Nuggets
- MorningStar Farms Original Chix Patties review
- MorningStar Farms Popcorn Chik’N Veggitizers review
- MorningStar Farms Mini Corn Dogs
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- Review: MorningStar Farms Grillers Original 2019
- Review: MorningStar Farms Falafel Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Tex Mex Burger
- Review: MorningStar Farms Chick’N Nuggets
- Review: MorningStar Farms Meat Lovers Vegan Burgers
- Review: MorningStar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage Links
- Review: MorningStar Farms Original Sausage Patties