The first time I tried this product sticks firmly in my memory to this day. The grainy, sand like texture that made me wince in regret the moment I bit into the breakfast patty. The remainder of the sandwich and the bag for that matter went directly to the garbage. I recall marveling in wonder at how good some of Gardein’s product range contrasted to this terrible abomination.
And then, at a time I cant exactly recall, I saw the new packaging you see above. It seemed as though Gardein had revamped this anomaly in their line up. I did reach out for confirmation but never heard back. Side grumble: the PR/customer communications from so so many food companies is very poor.
Anyway, I compared the old and new packaging (I scan everything – I am weird) and lo and behold, these were indeed different. Here’s a few pictures of the new product:
Despite the packaging claiming these to be “Original” these are absolutely not the same recipe as the original Gardein breakfast patties. I’m unsure as to why Gardein would make that statement. The previous variety were essentially vile, these are very, very good indeed.
If you tried the old version and recoiled in disgust like I did – definitely give these a look in. There’s not a hint of the unappealing grainy texture of old and the new flavor is enjoyable, tinged with just a little rosemary; way too many brands are heavy handed with this herb which can be quite overpowering, not the case here.
The patties are also pleasingly larger than their meatier counterparts which means they occupy more of a breakfast English muffin; which hey, that’s where these are ending up right!
Gardein Breakfast Saus’age Patties packaging
Gardein Breakfast Patties – legacy packaging
Just for comparison, and by way of no, no I’m not mad, here’s the original packaging of this product:
More Gardein products and dishes
- Marie Callender’s Meatless Gardein Be’f Pot Pie review
- Gardein expand out of the freezer aisle with new soup
- Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Burger review
- Asian salad with soy sauce fried Gardein tenders
- Asian salad with Gardein seven grain tenders
- Gardein Sweet And Tangy Barbecue Wings review
- Fajitas with Gardein chicken strips
- Asian salad with Gardein chicken strips
- Caesar salad with Gardein Seven Grain Tenders
- Gardein Breakfast Saus’age Patties review
- Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk’y
- Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders review
- Review: Gardein Meatless Chick’n Strips
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Ground
- Review: Gardein Home Style Meatless Meatloaf
- Review: Gardein Skillet Meals Asian Style Chick’n Fried Rice
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Burger
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Sliders
- Review: Gardein Lightly Breaded Turk’y Cutlets
- Review: Gardein Classic Meatless Meatballs