Of all the relatively contemporary meat free businesses, Gardein has one the most expansive product lines. The lineup has items like the more commonplace burgers and chicken patties, but also expands into sliders, seafood free fish and items like these Barbecue Wings.
Inside the bag – which is resealable like all Gardein products – you’ll find the following ten nuggets and sauce packet:
They cook up in the frying pan not unlike most of Gardein’s faux chicken products. Heat them with some oil and you’re good to go, the sauce packet can go on just at the end; which itself defrosts while still inside its plastic package, quickly in some warm water.
In truth these are nothing more than a re-shaped and re-packaged version of other Gardein products. Well, there might be a slight variation in the ingredients (see below), but to my palate these are almost indistinguishable, taste and texture wise, from the brand’s Chick’n strips for example. The texture has an enjoyable chew, but the flavor is unremarkable.
Of course that’s where the BBQ sauce comes in. The packaged sauce was surprisingly not overtly sweet, but also nothing amazing either. I’d recommending adding in your own extra seasonings – or heck – make your own BBQ sauce. It takes five minutes and is much much better!
Gardein Sweet And Tangy Barbecue Wings ingredients, nutrition, cooking
Are Gardein Sweet And Tangy Barbecue Wings any good?
Our verdict – 3/5. A more than solid product. If you’re looking to cook up a Summer BBQ plate but hope to avoid the meat these wing shaped nuggets might be the trick. Other Gardein Chikn products would stand in just as ably mind you.
More Gardein products and dishes
- Gardein Plant-Based Chili review
- Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Jerky
- Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Chick’N Filet reviewed
- Thai yellow curry with veggie chicken
- Gardein Ultimate Chick’N Tenders – the best yet?
- Gardein Crispy Golden Chick’N Nuggets – average at best
- Marie Callender’s Meatless Gardein Be’f Pot Pie review
- Gardein expand out of the freezer aisle with new soup
- Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Burger review
- Asian salad with soy sauce fried Gardein tenders
- Asian salad with Gardein seven grain tenders
- Gardein Sweet And Tangy Barbecue Wings review
- Fajitas with Gardein chicken strips
- Asian salad with Gardein chicken strips
- Caesar salad with Gardein Seven Grain Tenders
- Gardein Breakfast Saus’age Patties review
- Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk’y
- Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders review
- Review: Gardein Meatless Chick’n Strips
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Ground
- Review: Gardein Home Style Meatless Meatloaf
- Review: Gardein Skillet Meals Asian Style Chick’n Fried Rice
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Burger
- Review: Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Sliders
- Review: Gardein Lightly Breaded Turk’y Cutlets
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC – Utah’s biggest and oldest online food magazine; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with multiple local publications from Visit Salt Lake to Salt Lake Magazine, not least helped to consult on national TV shows.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for the better part of fifteen years. I’m largely fueled by a critical obsession with rice, alliteration and the use of big words I don’t understand. I started Shop Smart to catalogue my adventures in the grocery store and kitchen. Follow along on Instagram too!