Are Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches any good?
Let’s be clear, this product won’t win any gourmet prizes. That said, if you’re looking to satisfy a very specific fast food itch year long round – this might be the best processed faux-rib sandwich we’ve found for preparation at home.
It’ll come as no surprise what this product is trying to emulate; a certain fast food brands oft time special, that blinks in and out of existence on menus up and down the land – is a hot ticket item when it’s around. But what to do when it’s not? Several brands have stepped in to try and ease your cravings right from the comfort of your own home.
The processed meat is more noticeably less mushy than others, with a decent mouthfeel. While the BBQ sauce is expectedly sweet, its a few notches less cloying than it’s peers. So much so, I didn’t feel overwhelmed after finishing the sandwiches. Lastly the cornmeal bun is commendable too, remaining relatively non-mushy after a good 90 seconds under high microwave heat.
To emulate the famous fast food original you might want to add some onion and sliced dill pickle. Certainly I will next time around, the acidity would be a lovely foil to all the sweetness.
Of course, couch all of the above in the fact that this is demonstrably junk food first and foremost – don’t expect an epicurean experience worthy of poetry here. If you know what you’re getting into though, this is our favorite faux-rib sandwich from a grocery store.
Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches – what’s in the box?
Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches
Heres the sandwich frozen (the layers easily come apart while frozen), cooked and a cross section of the final cooked product.
Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches cooking instructions, nutrition and ingredients
Cooking is satisfyingly immediate – requiring just 60-90 seconds in a nivrowave. Open one end of the plastic pack, hit go and you’ll be digging in sharpish.
Nutritionally – it goes without saying, you probably don’t want to look at the package here 😉
How much are Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches
I paid $5.97 for this pack of four sandwiches as of April 2019. At a mere $1.50 per sandwich they’re more than fair, and about half the price of the famous fast food equivalent.
Other Walmart products
- Great Value Breaded Chicken Nuggets – a solid buy
- Walmart experiments with self checkout
- Three chile eggs and steak fries
- Great Value Regular Cut French Fried Potatoes
- Breakfast for dinner – Southwestern style
- Mahi-mahi fish tacos
- Great Value Steak Cut French Fried Potatoes review
- Hatch Chile fries with egg
- Great Value Korean Inspired Beef Street Taco Kit
- Sam’s Club 100% Angus Beef Burgers
- Walmart grocery delivery – is it any good?
- Review: Sam’s Choice Wild Caught Alaskan Halibut
- Review: Great Value BBQ Pork Rib Sandwiches
- Review: Great Value Chicken Dipping Sauce
- Review: Sam’s Choice Burrito Bowls Pork Carnitas
- Review: Sam’s Choice Beef Barbacoa Burrito Bowl
- Review: Walmart Premium Ahi Tuna Steaks
- Review: Walmart Premium Mahi-Mahi Fillets