Announced today is an intriguing new product from Beyond Meat – their meat free answer to ground beef – Beyond Beef. The new vegan friendly product looks likely to be a complete drop in replacement for ground beef, imitating the texture and consistency to a tee – just like other products in the Beyond Meat line up. Check out this promo shot from Beyond Meat:
The press release today confirms the product will have less than 25% saturated fat that beef, clocking in at 6g per serving. Much like other products in their range, its still pretty fatty all said.
On the flip side, it’s definitely improved over meat based beef, and has more protein per equivalent serving at 20g per 4 ounces. There’s also no soy, gluten and GMO product.
At this time, there’s no word on exact availability or pricing, the brand is asking for consumers to join their mailing list for more info as it comes.
Based on the launch of their past products such as the Beyond Sausage I’d expect initial availability to be limited. When the sausage product launched Whole Foods locations reported selling out of stock within hours of receiving deliveries on a same day basis.
Likewise, I’d expect pricing to be pretty steep out of the date. My local Whole Foods still sells the Beyond Sausage at an eye watering $8.99 for four links. The Beyond Burger has now come down in price though, so given time and production availability I’m sure the same will be true of the Beyond Beef.
More Beyond Meat articles
- Beyond Chicken Plant-Based Tenders
- What’s new in grocery stores for August 2021
- Beyond Breakfast Sausage Links review
- What’s new on grocery shelves this May
- Beyond Meatballs – a top quality plant-based option
- New Beyond Burgers coming in 2021
- Veggies Made Great Debuts New Frittatas Made with Beyond Meat
- Beyond Meat launches all new meatballs
- Beyond Meat launches delivery to your door
- Lightlife calls out Impossible and Beyond
- Beyond Burger with mushrooms, Swiss and sweet potato fries
- Beyond Meat fires up the BBQ with the Cookout Classic edition
- Mushroom and Swiss burger
- Beyond Breakfast Sausage review
- Teriyaki mushroom and egg burger
- Spaghetti with vegan sausage
- Review: Beyond Meat Beyond Beef
- Beyond Meat Beef Crumbles
- Beyond Meat launches new Beyond Beef product
- Review: The Beyond Sausage – Original
- The Beyond Sausage Hot Italian – updated 2022 review
- The Beyond Burger review – updated for 2020
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC – Utah’s biggest and oldest online food magazine; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with multiple local publications from Visit Salt Lake to Salt Lake Magazine, not least helped to consult on national TV shows.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for the better part of fifteen years. I’m largely fueled by a critical obsession with rice, alliteration and the use of big words I don’t understand. I started Shop Smart to catalogue my adventures in the grocery store and kitchen. Follow along on Instagram too!